Hi! Today I would like to share some of my thrifting tips with you. You may have noticed that usually I am wearing at least one thrifted item whether it is an accessory or an item of clothing or both! Some of the tips may not work for you but I try to live by them.
1. Be picky. Don't buy an item just because it is cheap. Make sure that you love the piece. It is much better to have a small wardrobe that contains clothing and accessories that you love than an overflowing closet with items that you find bland. If you don't believe that you can be stylish with a small wardrobe, head on over to Clothed Much and check out the fabulous outfits Elaine puts together with a tiny closet.
2. Before you buy something, examine it. Look for stains, rips, or holes. Some items you can salvage through dry cleaning and sewing while others are best left alone. Also be aware of the scent of an item. Some smells remain even after you wash the item. If you love the item, take the risk but sometimes it's best to just put the item back.
3. Get crafty. Found a dress with a pattern that you adore but the length doesn't work for you? Break out your sewing machine and hem it! Ruffles, studs, lace and other embellishments can also spruce up a thrifted item. Some items are just screaming for a DIY! Check out Madsion Avenue for some great reconstruction ideas and inspiration.
4. Keep your eyes open and dig! Some of the best items are hidden. Don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and search for the perfect piece.
5. Look for sales. Sales in thrift shops? Yes! Some thrift shops offer a discount on certain colored tags. I always seek out these items. Who doesn't love getting a great deal? Tanya from Fabulous For $50 or Under is an expert at getting good deals.
6. Buy what you love. Simple as that.
Hope these tips help!