Hello! While the weather was fairly nice earlier this week in Philadelphia, it suddenly got very cold. It even snowed here last night! As the weather continues to get colder and colder, layering is going to become more and more crucial in styling my daily looks. Below are 7 items that I believe to be essential in layering:
1. Socks & tights. Lots and lots of socks and tights. Knee-high socks, thigh-high socks, crew socks, sheer tights, opaque tights, stock up on them all. If you wear dresses and skirts as often as I do in the winter, these socks and tights will save you from the cold again and again. And you're definitely going to want to layer your socks and tights as the winter progresses. I love pairing printed crew socks over a pair of thigh highs or sheer patterned tights over a pair of cozy opaque tights. Pairing socks will keep your cozy while still stylish.
2. Heavy coat. Definitely an essential. Choose a heavy coat in one of your favorite colors that you can easily slip on with any of your looks. I have a great black peacoat that I constantly wear as well as a furry leopard print coat and I am definitely grateful for them.
3. Plaid wool scarves. Wool is so much warmer than other fabrics so wool scarves are a winter layering must-have. I'm currently swooning over plaid wool scarves in particular. If you're looking to add a plaid wool scarf to your wardrobe, I would definitely recommend checking out thrift shops first for a great deal on a vintage wool scarf. Usually, scarves like these are abundant in thrift shops.
4. Thick leggings. Layer these under dresses/skirts as well as with other pairs of leggings. Better than tights for those absolutely freezing days.
5. Chunky knit sweaters. No explanation needed.
6. Knit infinity scarves. Brave the cold with a knit infinity scarf. I don't think I could survive the winter without my knit scarves. Forever 21 and Etsy usually have some great options for knit scarves.
7. Long-sleeve button downs. Layer these under cozy knit sweaters or open over other tops. Either way, button downs are extremely easy to layer. Bonus points for button downs in winter prints such as plaid.